Veterans Service Office Federal Services

There are a variety of federal services open to veterans and their families.

Service Connection - General Information

VA disability compensation (pay) offers a monthly tax-free payment to Veterans who became sick or injured while serving in the military and to Veterans whose service made an existing condition worse. You may qualify for VA disability benefits for physical conditions (like a chronic illness or injury) and mental health conditions (like PTSD) that developed before, during, or after service. For assistance in getting service connected, you will need the following: 

  • Discharge papers 

  • Medical diagnosis of the issues we are claiming for

Presumptives General Information

"Presumptives" are medical conditions that the Federal VA must presume were caused during your service in the military. You must be able to prove that you served in that theater during that timeframe and have a sound medical diagnosis. For a full list of the presumptive conditions and corresponding timeframes, please follow the link below or make an appointment to speak to a caseworker about your situation.

Presumptive Disability Benefits

VA Medical Centers

VAMC now has an in-network Urgent Care facility in Council Bluffs at the Physicians Clinic at 808 E Pierce Street.  Call 712-396-4340 to confirm services and operating hours.  Other facility options can be searched by visiting "Find VA Locations" on the VA website.

Eligibility for VA Hospital

The VA hospital in Omaha is a fantastic resource for local Veterans. While not everyone who served is eligible, there are many ways one might gain access. If you served in the active military, naval, or air service and were separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty (other than for training only) by a federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty also may be eligible for VA health care. If you are service connected through the VA, you are eligible. There is also a low-income option for enrollment. Please call us to set up an appointment to see if you qualify. More information can be found at the link below.

Basic Eligibility for VA Health Care

VA Hospital Transport Services

Do you have an appointment at the VA hospital coming up and are unsure how you will get there? The Veteran Transport Service may be able to help you. Please call them with plenty of notice at 402-995-4200 or 855-208-4631. More information can be found on the VetRide website.

VA Pension

You may be eligible for the Veterans Pension program if you meet these requirements.

Both of these must be true:

  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • Your yearly family income and net worth meet certain limits set by Congress. Your net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings), minus any debt you owe. Your net worth includes the net worth of your spouse.

Find Out About Veterans Pension Rates

And at least one of these must be true about your service:

  • You started on active duty before September 8, 1980, and you served at least 90 days on active duty with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • You started on active duty as an enlisted person after September 7, 1980, and served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions) with at least 1 day during wartime, or
  • You were an officer and started on active duty after October 16, 1981, and you hadn’t previously served on active duty for at least 24 months

And at least one of these must be true:

  • You’re at least 65 years old, or
  • You have a permanent and total disability, or
  • You’re a patient in a nursing home for long-term care because of a disability, or
  • You’re getting Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income


Are you a wartime veteran in receipt of a VA Pension or survivors' pension and are forced to spend most of your time in the house due to a disability? You may be entitled to housebound benefits added to you VA pension. We can assist with completing the necessary paperwork and give you the paperwork that will need to be completed by your primary doctor. 

Aid and Attendance

Are you a wartime veteran in receipt of a VA pension and are currently or soon to be living in assisted living or a nursing home? If so, then you may qualify for Aid and Attendance, a monthly addition to the VA pension. To qualify, one of the following conditions must be true: 

  • You need another person to help you perform daily activities, like bathing, feeding, and dressing, or 

  • You must stay in bed—or spend a large portion of the day in bed—because of illness, or 

  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to the loss of mental or physical abilities related to a disability, or 

  • Your eyesight is limited (even with glasses or contact lenses you have only 5/200 or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less 

Please call and set up an appointment with one of our caseworkers to see if you qualify. We can assist with completing the necessary paperwork including the paperwork that will need to be completed by your primary doctor. 


If you’re the surviving spouse, child, or parent of a service member who died in the line of duty, or the survivor of a Veteran who died from a service-related injury or illness, you may be able to get a tax-free monetary benefit called VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC). Please reach out to us and find out if you are eligible for VA benefits or compensation. 

About VA DIC

Headstones and Burial Benefits

Types of Headstones, Markers, and Medallions

The above link will give you a list and measurements of all the options you can have from a bronze marker to a medallion. 

Veterans Headstones, Markers, And Medallions

If you have had a veteran in your family pass away and are looking for a headstone for them, please contact our office to set up an appointment and we would gladly help you fill out the application. Click the link above for eligibility requirements.

How to Apply for a Veterans Burial Allowance

If you have had a veteran pass away in your family, they could be eligible for a Veterans burial allowance or Burial Benefits. Please review the link above for details.

National Cemetery

If you are an honorably discharged veteran, a National Cemetery can be an option for you and your spouse for burial. The veteran would not have to pay for either the headstone or plot. For more information, please call our closest national cemetery in Omaha, NE. Click below for further details and contact information.

Omaha National Cemetery

Eligibility for Federal Assistance Requires:

  • Be a wartime veteran with an honorable discharge (DD-214) between the following dates of service:
    • Indian War 1/1/1817 – 12/21/1898
    • Spanish American 4/21/1898 – 7/4/1902
    • WWI 4/6/1917 – 11/11/1918
    • WWII 12/7/1941 – 12/31/1946
    • Korea 6/27/1950 – 1/31/1955
    • Vietnam 8/5/1964 – 5/4/1975
    • In Country 2/28/1961 – 5/4/1975
    • Persian Gulf 8/2/1990 – No End Date Set
  • Be a widow or minor child of a wartime veteran honorably discharged between the prior list of dates
  • Be a resident of Pottawattamie County

Federal Benefits Include:

  • Filing for Compensation for a Service-Connected Injury or Illness
  • Filing for Veteran’s or Widow’s Pension
  • Eligibility for Home Loans
  • Eligibility Verification Report
  • Aid and Attendance for Nursing Home and Housebound Veterans
  • Iowa Veterans Home Admittance
  • Educational Benefits
  • Obtaining Military Records
  • Upgrading Discharge
  • Government Headstone or Grave Markers
Phone (712) 328-5797
Fax: (712) 328-5726
Hours 8:00am to 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
Location Veterans Service Office
623 6th Ave
Council Bluffs, IA 51501