Veterans Service Office County and State Services

Listed below are some of the things we can assist Veterans with at a Local and State level.

Veteran Drivers License

If you are an honorably discharged Veteran, getting a Veteran designation on your Iowa driving license is a simple process. Please just bring your current driver's license and your member 4 DD214 to our office. We will complete Iowa DoT form 432035 and verify your DD214 information makes you eligible. You will then need to take the form to the Courthouse and go to where you would usually pick up your driver's license and they will take it from there.  




Veteran License Plates

If you are an Honorably discharged or retired Veteran you are eligible to have special license plates for your vehicle. This is also available to National Guard members if they meet certain requirements of federal service. There are several different options depending on medal earned for discharged veterans and branch of service for retired veterans. If you are interested, please come to our office with your member 4 DD214 and your current Iowa license plate number and we can take care of the paperwork. There is no fee for your first plate (unless you personalize it) and the plate will be sent to the Courthouse for pick up once it has been made.  



Veteran Hunting and Fishing License

If you are a service-connected Iowa based veteran you can get a lifetime Hunting and fishing license for $7. You must have your member 4 DD214 showing honorable service and will need a recent benefits summary letter from the federal VA showing that you have a service-connected disability. 

Property Tax Exemption

Are you a veteran that has a property under your name and are currently living in the home. Please call our office to set up an appointment. At this appointment we will need a good copy of your DD214 and together we can fill out the Tax exemption form. Once we complete those, we can send both over to the accessors office to be approved. Applications must be completed and sent in by June 30th. 

100% Permanent and total disability tax exemption 

If you are a veteran that has a 100% permanent and total rating for compensation. Please call our office and we can explain the steps to obtain your Benefit Summary Letter and schedule an appointment to complete the application. Once the application is completed it will be sent to the assessor's office.  

Veteran Relocation Grant 

Veteran Relocation Grant - Veteran Affairs - Pottawattamie County, Iowa ( 

If you are an honorably discharged veterans who is within 60 days of the closing date on their new home and owns the home. See the attached link in reference to the Veteran Relocation Grant Application that gives the list of requirements to be eligible. Once you have the application and all required documents, please bring it to our office to be submitted. 

Phone (712) 328-5797
Fax: (712) 328-5726
Hours 8:00am to 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
Location Veterans Service Office
623 6th Ave
Council Bluffs, IA 51501