Recorder Military Records

Information on Recording of Military Discharge Papers

Discharge papers (DD214's) may be recorded for permanent records from which certified copies may be issued. In order to obtain a certified copy, the original must have been presented for recording. The DD214 must be recorded before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction. 

There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record. 

The military separation or discharge record is not accessible through the internet (the Code of Iowa 331.606A). Therefore a veteran or a family member must furnish a photo ID in order to obtain their military record. 

Honor Rewards Program

In an effort encourage Veteran's to record their military records, Pottawattamie County has launched 'Honor Rewards' to offer discounts at area businesses.

Sign-up for Honor Rewards

Phone (712) 328-5612
Fax: (712) 328-4738
Hours Monday - Friday

8:00am to 3:30pm
Real Estate Filings, Marriage Applications, Passports

8:00am to 4:00pm
Boat, Snowmobile, ATV, Birth, Death & Marriage Records
Location Pottawattamie County Courthouse
Second Floor
227 S 6th St
Council Bluffs, IA 51501