Jobs PRN-Registered Nurse -Jail
$34.74 - $/hour
Casual - On Call
Sheriff's Office: 1400 Big Lake Road, Council Bluffs
SummaryThe Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office, Jail Division, is hiring for the PRN Registered Nurse position. This position works on an as needed basis. There are no set hours of work and no guarantee of work hours.
Sheriff's Office applicants are encouraged to read the Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office minimum qualifications for employment before submitting an application. Click on the link to view the minimum qualifications. www.pottcountysheriff.com/careers/job-openings.php
Responsible for providing professional nursing care to inmates at the County jail. Utilizes the nursing process to meet a variety of healthcare needs with ambulatory care as primary focus. Essential functions guided by nursing protocols.
Essential FunctionsProvides direct and indirect nursing care to meet physiological, psychosocial, and emotional needs of the inmate-patient within the framework established by jail administration. Delegates and supervises other nurses as directed.
- Responds to and initiates care for inmate and staff medical emergencies throughout the jail facility. This includes the ability to perform continuous CPR until properly relieved.
- Performs health assessments of inmate-patient in a variety of settings such as initial intake area, health care unit, and housing areas. Utilizes assessment skills that require a knowledge base of both normal and abnormal adult health status. Communicates assessment data in a comprehensive, orderly fashion verbally and in writing.
- Performs histories and physicals on inmates. Plans nursing care by identification of inmate-patient needs based on assessments. Makes appropriate, timely referrals and initiates appropriate nursing care based on institutional policies and procedures. Documents plans appropriately.
- Physically assists Physician in patient examinations and treatments. Performs venipuncture and I.V. therapy. Collects samples, specimens, and cultures per Physician orders, etc.
- Implements nursing care and medical care orders in knowledgeable, safe and cost effective manner. Documents any and all nursing care provided and appropriate medically directed care in accordance with institutional policies and procedures. Documents incidents where treatment or care is not administered. Provides inmate education as an integral part of total patient care,
- Implements and follows up on Physician/Dentist/Psychiatrist verbal and written orders. Evaluates and documents inmate-patient responses to aspects of healthcare and makes appropriate referrals to members of the healthcare team.
- Administers and documents medications on the Medication Administration Record. Maintains accountability of all controlled substances and prescription medications according to state law and departmental policy.
- Accepts assignments and extra duties with flexibility and willingness to participate in activities other than direct patient care.
- Communicates information in an accurate, concise, and timely manner.
- Protects confidentiality of information in written and verbal communications.
- Participates in problem solving activities of the healthcare team by attending meetings, utilizing positive interpersonal skills and appropriate channels to initiate change.
- Functions as a role model for other health care unit personnel and maintains harmonious relationships with detention officers, inmate-patients and members of the health care team.
- Assists with healthcare education/training for departmental staff.
- Maintains clinical area in clean, neat, safe manner and participates in required counts and cleaning assignments.
- Adheres to Universal Precautions and other appropriate infection control practices.
- Adhere to nursing and department safety and security policies and participates in disaster drills. Follows and enforces security regulations for keys, sharps, and controlled medications. Required to report safety issues and concerns to supervisor in a timely fashion.
- Notifies Health Services Manager and completes required reports for job related injuries or accidents in accordance with departmental policy.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Knowledge of patient care and management including awareness of patient rights.
Knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of nursing.
Ability to read and interpret medical and psychological reports and evaluations and apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form. Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing. Ability to maintain an accurate and confidential system of communications, documents, and correspondence relating to patient care. Ability to quickly analyze, retain composure, and utilize sound independent judgment and actions in stressful and emergency situations, occasionally with violent or hostile patients. Ability to operate standard office equipment in the performance of job duties, i.e. fax machine, copier, personal computer, calculator, etc. Ability to work independently, prioritize work, meet deadlines, make decisions, and solve practical problems dealing with a variety of inmate health issues. Ability to type accurately using a typewriter, word processor, and personal computer. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with governmental officials, detention staff, inmate-patients and members of the health care team.
Essential Education, Certification, and/or Licenses
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing with current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Iowa or residing compact state. Must attend and participate in continuing education consistent with the requirements of the State Board of Nursing. Must possess a current CPR certification and maintain it throughout the course of employment. Selected applicants are subject to, and must pass, a full background check and employment physical which includes drug screen.
I chose to work for Pottawattamie County because I knew it could be a place where I could spend the rest of my career. They provide great benefits and are very competitive with wages.
Buildings and Grounds
6 Years with Pottawattamie County