Planning & Development
$26.79 - $33.33/hour
Courthouse Annex: 223 South 6th Street, Council Bluffs
Responsible for carrying out a range of investigative and analytical activities related to the surveillance, detection, and prevention of diseases and injuries across all divisions. Provide timely, reliable and actionable data to the community and Public Health Division with clear metrics to guide, focus, and assess the impact of prevention initiatives.
This description does not include all job duties which may be required and it does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance at work report location according to the position's management approved work schedule is essential to this position.
- Collect and analyze primary and secondary data for the Pottawattamie County Community Health Needs Assessment.
- Develop and recommended evidence-based interventions and control measures in response to research findings with appropriate cultural/social/political framework.
- Use public health surveillance methods to determine health needs of the community.
- Identify trends in health problems, environmental public health hazards, and social and economic health factors including acute and chronic conditions that affect the public’s health.
- Monitor disease reports and cases of illness to recognize and respond to potential communicable disease outbreaks and other emergencies.
- Serves as the lead in Public Health emergency preparedness activities.
- Apply principles of ethical/legal practice as they relate to study design and data collection, dissemination, and use.
- Organize data from surveillance, investigations, or other sources.
- Assist in defining community health goals and objectives that are outcome-based and linked to national and state health goals.
- Generate appropriate reports for internal and external customers.
- Assist in the development of grant proposals, division policies, processes, and work plans.
- Collaborates with the Iowa Department of Public Health Disease Prevention Specialist, Regional Epidemiologist and Tuberculosis Bureau to investigate communicable diseases.
Marginal Functions and special functions:
- Perform other duties as directed or as the situation dictates.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
- Possess written and verbal skills for effective public communication.
- Knowledge of routine epidemiologic functions comprising surveillance, data collection, and data analysis using basic epidemiologic methods.
- Knowledge of program evaluation and quality improvement methods for use in public health and related educational and social service programs.
- Knowledge of principles and regulations regarding security and disclosure of protected health information as it relates to public health practice.
- Ability to organize and deliver public health information to varied audiences, by utilizing verbal, written and visual communication tools/resources.
- Ability to identify surveillance data needs, implement new or revise existing surveillance systems, report key findings from the surveillance system, and support evaluation of surveillance systems.
- Ability to organize raw data in forms suitable for epidemiological analysis.
- Ability to analyze surveillance data and other information for the purposes of determining the need for epidemiological investigations.
- Ability to design, conduct and analyze data collection methods
- Ability to develop working relationships with all levels of county staff, medical and para-medical community organizations, Board of Health and the general public.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of all departmental and client communications, documents and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, and utilize proper grammar, vocabulary, spelling and punctuation.
Essential Education, Certification, and/or Licenses
- Bachelor’s Degree in Epidemiology or public health AND two (2) years of related work experience OR Master’s degree in Epidemiology or Public Health. Master’s degree preferred.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of hire and maintain it throughout the course of employment.
I’ve built lasting friendships. I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge from training and experiences that could only be learned on the job.
Planning and Development
20 Years with Pottawattamie County