Recorder Marriage Licenses
Applying for a Marriage License
Marriage Application is $35.00, which includes a free Certified Copy once you are married and the Certificate gets filed. The fee is due at the time your application is turned in. We do not accept personal checks.
If you pay by money order or cashier's check, please make it out to the Pottawattamie County Recorder.
- All signatures must be notarized (Party A, Party B and the witness — a competent and disinterested person). Please have all signatures notarized prior to turning in the marriage application if the marriage application is completed outside of the Recorder's Office.
- All sections must be completed except those that are indicated as optional. Please include the full name of Party A and Party B before and after marriage.
- All parties (wedding couple and one witness that knows the wedding couple) need to be at least 18 years old and have a valid state-issued ID such as a driver's license
- After the day of application acceptance, there is a four-calendar-day wait after the date of application before you can pick it up to get married
- We will hold it up to six months in our office
- Include phone numbers on the application
- If you apply for a marriage license in Iowa, you must get married in Iowa
We recommend that you apply inperson with a witness to insure the application is filled out correctly. If you cannot apply inperson, please contact our office to obtain the application form.
If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.
There is a four-day wait after applying for a license before you can be married.
- Apply on Monday, the license will be valid on Friday
- Apply on Tuesday or Wednesday, the license will be valid on the following Monday (due to the Recorder's Office being closed on weekends)
- Apply on Thursday, the license will be valid on the following Monday
- Apply on Friday, the license will be valid on the following Tuesday
Our Contact Information:
Pottawattamie County Recorder
227 S 6th St., Room 251
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Phone: (712) 328-5612 Option #4
Marriage License Office Hours: 8 am - 3:30 pm; Monday - Friday unless there is a holiday.
Key Services & Resources
Fax: (712) 328-4738
8:00am to 3:30pm
Real Estate Filings, Marriage Applications, Passports
8:00am to 4:00pm
Boat, Snowmobile, ATV, Birth, Death & Marriage Records
227 S 6th St
Council Bluffs, IA 51501